For many of us, at-home workouts are the ultimate fitness dream: Gyms have their advantages, sure, but the idea of being able to focus solely on your body and exercise routine from the comfort of your own home — and not worry about what you're wearing, what you look like in the mirror next to other sweaty strangers or what equipment you'll use if the stuff you need is already taken — is the ideal workout scenario.
But where to begin? Finding the space and time for home workouts is challenging enough, much less finding the actual workout regimen that meets your personal fitness needs. Don't worry! Consider this your start-to-finish guide to at-home workouts; from the home-gym equipment you'll need (or not need — body-weight exercises are perfect for home fitness!) to every workout type and target you could ever imagine, we've got you covered.
So get ready to lose weight, boost your metabolism, build muscle or accomplish whatever personal fitness goal you've set for yourself right from your living room (or basement, or garage, or hallway, or... well, you get the picture!).
How to Get Started With At-Home Workouts
While it can be tempting to go straight to the fun part — picking which at-home workout plan you're going to try first — as is the case when starting any new habit, it's important to first nail down the basics to ensure you're set up to succeed with your home workout plan. With that in mind, here are the steps to follow to create the best at-home workout for you:
Step 1: Define your fitness goals. This step is often overlooked, but it's crucial because figuring out your exercise and overall wellness routine is about as personal as it gets. It's literally deciding what you want for and from your body, after all! Determining what you are hoping to accomplish — be it losing weight, toning your arms for swimsuit season, running a 5k, maintaining your strength as you get older, or just trying to move more — will make the next steps of this process much easier.
Step 2: Create your workout space. It's one thing to plan to set up a home gym, it's entirely another to actually know where that home gym is going to exist in your house. If the amount of space you need for a workout area doesn't align with the amount of space you actually have, it might be time to go back to the drawing board — or get creative! For example: Want to do a morning yoga routine but don't have enough space for a mat? Try yoga moves you can do from your bed instead!
Step 3: Choose your workout equipment. This step depends largely on the steps before it, as the best home-gym equipment for you is going to vary widely based on your particular fitness goal as well as the amount of space you have to actually store and use that equipment. Alternatively, if you don't have the space or money for lots of exercise equipment, there are tons of ways to work out at home without equipment, so don't let that stop you from achieving your at-home workout goals!
Step 4: Get moving! Now that you know what you want to accomplish with your workouts at home, where you will do said workouts and have the equipment you need to do them, it's time for the main event — working out!
The Best At-Home Workouts for Beginners
If you're new to working out, it can be a bit overwhelming knowing where to start. In general, it's best to start with full-body, body-weight workouts that let you get used to the proper form of an exercise before adding weight, but it also depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Lucky for you, we've gathered all that knowledge into one helpful article for you so you can get started on the right foot!
Another great at-home workout option for beginners is finding short, simple routines on YouTube. LIVESTRONG has tons of great, beginner-friendly workouts on our .
At-Home Workouts for Losing Weight
There are many reasons to start an exercise plan at home, but one of the most common reasons is to lose weight. The ability to work out in the privacy of your own home can be especially nice when you're feeling less-than-confident about your body and don't want to go to a gym. When it comes to weight-loss workouts at home, you've got plenty of options, and we've collected the best of those options into an easy-to-follow workout guide.
At-Home Workouts by Type
Have you recently fallen in love with high-intensity interval training (HIIT)? Can't live without CrossFit? Don't get discouraged or think that at-home workouts aren't possible for you. With a few easy modifications, most popular workouts can be done in the comfort of your own home. Here are some of our favorites:
- HIIT Workout at Home - feel the burn!
- Strength Training at Home - who needs the gym? Not you!
- CrossFit Workout at Home - 5 workouts, no equipment
- Beginner Pilates at Home - grab your mat and get ready for a stronger core
- Dance Workout at Home - try one of these fun and fast-paced DVDs
- At-Home Cycling Workouts - you don't need to shell out for a Peloton
- Tips for Kickboxing at Home - with or without the bag
- Cardio Workout at Home - get your heart rate soaring
At-Home Workouts for Targeting Specific Body Parts
- Full-Body Workout at Home - all you need is a chair
- Abs Workout at Home - no equipment needed
- Chest Workout at Home - great for both women and men
- Arm Workout at Home - all it takes is 10 minutes
- Back Workout at Home - grab your dumbbells and get pumping
- Butt Workout at Home - you'll be done in just 10 minutes
- Triceps Workout at Home - tone those triceps in no time
- Biceps Workout at Home - only the best for your biceps
At-Home Workouts for Women
Though exercises themselves don't discriminate between men and women, there can be big differences between men's and women's fitness and body goals. So while men are more than welcome to give these workouts a try, they are geared more toward targeting women's most common fitness goals and challenges.
At-Home Workouts for Men
Again, fitness isn't about gender, but the physique that some men are looking to develop does require a different workout approach. So guys, whether you're looking to get shredded, lose the man boobs, or even have better sex, look no further. (But take note, ladies: There's nothing stopping you from doing them, either!)
At-Home Workout Apps, Videos and Guides
If you like working out at home but still want some expert guidance and support during your sweat sessions, exercise apps, videos and guides are the perfect way to get the best of both worlds.
Workout apps you can use at home are particularly helpful because most of them allow you to personalize the routine to fit your goals before you get started. Here's a list of our favorite workout apps to try in your home gym:
- - the workout queen herself serves up personalized workouts
- - you'll need an indoor cycling bike, but the workouts are just like the ones you'd get in your favorite spin class
- - low-impact and beginner-friendly workouts to get you fit
- - live and on-demand workout classes delivered straight to your smartphone
- - what started as a running coach app now also offers at-home boxing, yoga and strength training
- - input fitness goal, get workout, go!
For visual learners, few things are more helpful for learning a new workout routine than fitness videos. Here at LIVESTRONG, we're all about fitness videos (check out for a treasure trove of workout videos), which is why we created this list of our favorite workout videos that are particularly useful for people who want to exercise at home:
- STRONGER - an 8-week, at-home, body-weight workout program with celebrity trainer Nicky Holender that's 100% free!
- - with a paid membership, you can access all of Beachbody's popular workout programs like P90X and 80 Day Obsession
- - this couple built a huge library of YouTube workouts (also available through their website) and it's all free!
- - if you love Pilates, then you must check out Cassey Ho's Blogilates workout programs
- - if you get bored easily, try something like DailyBurn, which has a ton of variety
- - whether you want body-weight workouts or have home-gym equipment, these great video workouts run the gamut (just don't get distracted by the trainers' abs!)
And for those of you who appreciate a good step-by-step guide, don't think for a minute that there aren't great at-home workout resources for you, too! Just like apps and videos, there are tons of workout guides and ebooks available online. Here are a few of our favorites:
- - grab your dumbbells and get ready to get stronger and more toned at home
- - with a few key pieces of equipment, you can get fit at home with this Instagram star
- - Katie Dunlop offers workouts as well as meal plans
- - let these two besties (and their online community) get you in the best shape ever